Skip to main content
Suggested Searches
Quick Links

Common Coverages: Hurricane and Windstorm

Common Personal Insurance Coverages

Following a Hurricane or Windstorm Event

Because most of Chubb's homeowner policies provide "all risk" coverage, physical damage to your home or other structures at the insured location caused by hurricane or windstorm may be a covered loss. However, a special deductible may apply in lieu of your standard deductible.

With very limited exception, Chubb only covers damage caused by flood, surface water or ground water if you have purchased a Chubb Personal or Excess Flood Insurance policy.

We may, however, pay the following extra coverages (the base deductible or a special deductible may apply) in connection with a covered loss depending upon the policy under which you are insured:

Additional Living Expenses or Loss of Use Coverage: If a covered loss to your house, other permanent structure or contents makes the dwelling(s) uninhabitable, we may provide coverage for a reasonable increase in your normal living expenses, which could include:

  • Temporary residence,
  • Hotels, meals, transportation, etc.
  • Pet kenneling,
  • Replacing lost fair rental value, or
  • Other increases to normal living expenses, as described in the policy.

However, power outages that do not result from a covered loss to your property will not trigger Additional Living Expenses.

Temporary Precautionary Repairs: After a covered loss, we may provide coverage for temporary precautionary repairs to protect the home, contents, or other structures from further damage.

Debris Removal:
 We may pay for the cost you incur that was made necessary by a covered loss to demolish damaged covered property and remove debris.

Forced Evacuation:
 If you are forced to evacuate your home or other permanent structure as a direct result of a covered loss or a reasonable threat of a loss covered under the policy, we may cover the reasonable increase in normal living expenses for up to 30 days. This might include hotel and meal expenses or kenneling for pets. Under some policies, this coverage only applies if a civil authority has forced you to evacuate your home.

Tree Removal:
 Unless covered elsewhere under the policy, we may pay the reasonable expenses you incur to remove trees fallen due to wind. Special coverage limits will apply.

Food Spoilage:
 If you have coverage for Contents, we may cover the cost of spoiled food and wine caused by power interruption. Special coverage limits and deductibles apply in most states.

Please review your policy for complete details of the coverage contained in your policy.

The content of this document is presented for informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for consultation with your insurance broker, or for legal, engineering or other professional advice. Insureds are responsible for safety and risk control of their premises. Chubb may exercise its right to inspect premises from time to time under insurance policy terms and conditions, but it does not have any obligation to oversee or monitor an insured’s safety and risk control practices. Chubb is the marketing name used to refer to subsidiaries of Chubb Limited providing insurance and related services. For a list of these subsidiaries, please visit our website at Insurance provided by Federal Insurance Company and its U.S. based Chubb underwriting company affiliates. All products may not be available in all states. Surplus lines insurance sold only through licensed surplus lines producers. Chubb Limited, the parent company of Chubb, is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: CB) and is a component of the S&P 500 index. Chubb, 202 Halls Mill Road, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889