For an optimal site experience, we recommend using a different browser.
Using Internet Explorer may prevent you from accessing, and some site features may not function as expected.

skip to main content
The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) is a charge that has previously been added to the cost of your property insurance to fund fire and emergency services agencies in New South Wales. 
On 30 May 2017, the NSW Government announced that it had deferred its policy of funding fire and emergency services through a property levy collected by councils. The Government will continue to require insurance companies to provide funding for the emergency services, which Chubb will reclaim by collecting an ESL on property insurance premiums. 
The legislation reintroducing the obligation on insurance companies to collect the ESL became effective on 1 July 2017. As such, the purchase of insurance from Chubb includes a charge for ESL.


The following ESL rates are currently effective for Chubb accounts:

  • 31% for Commercial effective 1 July 2022 (previously 25%)
  • 20% for Strata effective 1 July 2022 (previously 10%)
  • 15% for Homeowners effective 1 August 2022 and further increasing to 18% effective 1 January 2023 (previously 10%). Renewals will be effective from 16 August 2022
  • 1% for Motor Vehicle effective 1 August 2019 (unchanged)

The rate for Business Pack has increased from 10% to 20%, effective in the following platforms as follows:

  • Sunrise – New Business transacted from 22 July 2022 and Renewals effective 21 August 2022.  
  • SCTP – New Business transacted from 5 July 2022 and Renewals effective 19 August 2022. 

The ESL rate has been calculated at a rate sufficient to meet Chubb’s contribution requirements and may be reviewed from time to time. 

Premiums are regularly reviewed and take into account risk factors such as location, construction and claims history. In addition, our premiums take into account business expenses, including operating and reinsurance costs. Any changes to our premiums are independent of changes to the ESL. 

If you would like further information

If you have any ESL queries or concerns please contact your broker. Alternatively, you can contact the NSW Revenue Office:

Information on the NSW Emergency Services Levy Price Comparison Order

As an issuer of regulated insurance, renewal statements and invoices issued by Chubb or on behalf of Chubb by its representatives must comply with the requirements of the Price Comparison Order. This means that from 1 July 2019 all renewal statements and invoices will feature a year on year premium comparison.