With a record number of bushfires, acres burned, and homes destroyed in recent years, we’ve put together some proactive steps you can take to help keep your family and home safe.
5. Remove or prune flammable plants and shrubs near windows. Thin and separate shrubs by a distance of at least twice their height.
6. Move any wood piles at least 9 metres from the house.
7. Create a separation between trees, shrubs, and items that could catch fire, such as outdoor furniture.
8. Maintain adequately watered ground at least 30 metres from the house if the ground is level and 60 metres from the house if the ground is sloped. Keep grass cut down to a maximum of 10cm high.
9. Clear a 3 metre area around propane or oil tanks and around your barbeque area.
10. Install fire-resistant window treatments, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers throughout your home.
11. Keep fire-fighting tools handy, such as a ladder, shovel, rake, axe, water bucket, and a hose that is long enough to reach your home and other structures.
12. Install a back-up generator in case electrical power is shut off.
13. Store valuable documents in a fire-resistant safe or bank safety deposit box.
14. Make sure your house address is visible from the street.
This content is brought to you by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (“Chubb”) as a convenience to readers and is not intended to constitute advice (professional or otherwise) or recommendations upon which a reader may rely. Any references to insurance cover are general in nature only and may not suit your particular circumstances. Chubb does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and any insurance cover referred to is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions set out in the relevant policy wording. Please obtain and read carefully the relevant insurance policy before deciding to acquire any insurance product. A policy wording can be obtained at www.chubb.com/au, through your broker or by contacting any of the Chubb offices. Chubb makes no warranty or guarantee about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the content. Readers relying on any content do so at their own risk. It is the responsibility of the reader to evaluate the quality and accuracy of the content. Reference in this content (if any) to any specific commercial product, process, or service, and links from this content to other third party websites, do not constitute or imply an endorsement or recommendation by Chubb and shall not be used for advertising or service/product endorsement purposes. ©2020 Chubb Insurance Australia Limited ABN: 23 001 642 020 AFSL: 239687. Chubb®, its logos, and Chubb.Insured.SM are protected trademarks of Chubb.
Contact a broker today.