With the days getting longer and warm weather in the forecast, you may be looking forward to time at the beach or lake house, traveling overseas with the family, splashing in the pool, or just relaxing with friends in the backyard. Regardless of your definition of a fun, relaxing summer, you’ll want to make sure you, your family, and guests stay safe. Here are a few tips you may want to consider:
Headed to the beach or a day by the pool?
- Make sure your pool is guarded and fenced.
- Supervise all swimmers, especially children, at all times around the pool and at the beach.
- Consider hiring a professional life guard if you are having a pool party.
- Take CPR and water safety courses with your family – you never know when those skills will come in handy. For Red Cross videos and classes, click here.
Ready to open your summer home?
- Turn the utilities on, and set up lawn, pool, and garbage service, if needed.
- Check your boating registration and schedule help at the marina to get your boat in the water. Learn more about Coming out of Layup.
- Inspect your deck for rot or winter damage, and get it repaired before guests arrive.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have coverage on everything, including jet skis, wave runners, and ATVs.
- Check out this article with more tips.
Starting up the backyard BBQ?
- Use warm water and mild soap to clean your barbecue, fire pit, or chimenea before using it for the season.
- Never leave the fire unattended and make sure children stay a safe distance away.
- Keep water or a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
- Keep your fire out from under trees, low-hanging plants or flowers, and away from anything flammable.
Enjoying the sunshine?
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. A good rule of thumb is the “8x8 rule” or 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water each day.
- Keep a first aid kit handy at home and in the car, for cuts, scrapes, burns, or insect bites.
- Use repellent containing DEET or other EPA-approved ingredients if you’re going to be around trees or brush, as Zika, West Nile virus and Lyme disease are all transmitted by insects that are out in the summer months.
- Protect your skin by using a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, which blocks 97 percent of the sun’s UVB rays. Keep in mind that the sun’s UVB rays can cause damage to your skin in as little as 15 minutes.
- Stay in smaller, boutique hotels that are less conspicuous.
- Dress for the culture so you can blend into the crowd and not announce yourself as a “tourist.”
- Leave copies of your documents with a friend, including passport, driver’s license, visa, and travel itinerary.
- Only rent a car if you’re familiar with the terrain. Otherwise a well-known taxi is better.
- Don’t post or geo-tag on social media, because this lets criminals know where you are (and that you’re not at home).
- Consider purchasing medical and travel assistance. Chubb’s Passport 360 policy gives you and your loved ones 24/7 access to leading medical and travel assistance services. Coverage includes medical evacuation/transportation, emergency care, and more. For more information on how to proactively tackle travel’s many “what ifs”, click here.
Anytime you’re out and about
ADT offers motion activated exterior video and alerts (audible, text, etc.), which is not only helpful against intruders, but can also warn you if someone enters a user-defined space such as a pool or deck area. From this service you can instantly stream video feeds to your local TV, mobile device, or computer, and see who entered the pool or yard area.
Chubb clients are entitled to a 10% discount on the installation of an ADT Security System, which may also save you up to 10% on your homeowners insurance*. Visit www.adt.com/chubb or call 1-800-808-9996 for details.
*Service and installation charges vary depending on system configuration, equipment and services selected. 10% Off installation charge of any ADT Security System and add-on equipment (maximum savings up to $500). Offer available to Chubb policyholders only with the installation and activation of an ADT alarm system and applies to all service levels. Requires 36-month monitoring contract starting at $35.99/ mo. for Traditional Service level (In California, 24-month, total service charges starting at $695.76) with enrollment in ADT’s Extended Limited Warranty and ADT EasyPay. Does not include $25 activation fee. Upon early termination by Customer, ADT may charge 75% of the monthly service charges due for the balance of the contract term. System remains property of ADT. Offer not applicable to system/services purchased from ADT Authorized Dealer(s). Offer expires December 31, 2019.
Chubb is the marketing name used to refer to subsidiaries of Chubb Limited providing insurance and related services. For a list of these subsidiaries, please visit our website at new.chubb.com. Insurance provided by Federal Insurance Company and its U.S. based Chubb underwriting company affiliates. All products may not be available in all states. Coverage is subject to the language of the policies as actually issued. Surplus lines insurance sold only through licensed surplus lines producers. The selection of a particular Preferred Service Provider is the independent choice of the policyholder. Neither Chubb nor its employees or agents make any warranties or assume any liability for the performance of the Preferred Service Provider, including any goods or services received. Chubb customer information is not shared with ADT. If a Chubb customer chooses to utilize the services of ADT, any collection of customer information by ADT is subject to their privacy policies. Chubb Personal Risk Services, P.O. Box 1600, Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889-1600