Whether you’re driving the carpool or training a new teenage driver, here are a few tips to keep your family safe on the road.
Keep your cool
Whether you know it or not, your kids watch you and often mimic your behaviors – including how you drive. So, if you’re running behind and under a lot of pressure, remember to stay calm on the road (even if those around you aren’t), obey the laws, and be courteous to other drivers. This is especially important if you have pre-teens or teenage children, as they will take those lessons and use them when they’re behind the wheel.
This is one of the best ways to stay safe if you’re in an accident. After all, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, seat belts saved an estimated 14,668 lives in 2016 and could have saved an additional 2,456 lives if everyone in the car had buckled up.1
Distracted driving is one of the easiest ways to get into trouble on the road. So, keep your attention where it needs to be – on the road and the cars around you. If you’ve got a teen driver in the family, make sure he or she follows these suggestions too:
- If you stop for food or drinks, eat it there instead of eating while you drive.
- Keep the radio down so you can hear what’s going on around you – and only change the station when you’re stopped.
- If others in the car are loud or misbehaving, don’t turn around to engage or reprimand them. Pull over to a safe location to handle the situation.
- Do not use your cell phone – and use text blockers that notify people who send you texts that you can’t respond right away.
- Limit your participation in conversations to a minimum, especially during heavy traffic or adverse weather.
Don’t drive if you’re not fully awake
If you need an extra cup of coffee to really wake up, drink that before you get behind the wheel. Be mindful that certain medications and drinking alcohol can make you sleepy, so arrange for a designated driver. If you have teenage drivers, stress the importance of being fully awake and aware when you’re driving – all the time, every time.
Accidents happen, even to the most cautious drivers. Your safety is what drives us to do more for you and your family, like repairing your car correctly, every time, and offering some of the best protection on the road. Find an agent to receive a quote today.