Curators and directors from arboretums to zoos have turned to Chubb Risk Engineering Services for assistance in protecting their cultural property. Whether the need is for fire protection of historic structures, replacement cost appraisal of specialized buildings, emergency preparedness, or protecting collections while in transit, Chubb has been there to provide assistance.
The operation of cultural institutions is evolving. There is a greater reliance on earned income to meet operating budgets. Activities such as leasing your facility for commercial usage or personal events, increasing the number of block buster exhibits, providing food and banking services can impact general liability and property conservation programs.
Cultural properties are increasingly more responsive to their local community needs and many are now providing afterschool care, day camps, job training, or college readiness programs for older youths and wellness programs for all community members. These new types of programs and events create different and sometimes complicated liability and property exposures. Chubb risk engineers have the experience and knowledge to guide you through development of a risk management program to support your changing operations.
We are dedicated to understanding your role as a steward of our culture. We stay on top of trends in protection against fire and other natural hazards for historical buildings and collections. Examples of services we have provided for our cultural institution clients include:
- Reviewing collections material and storage mediums and determining impact on health and safety programs and fire protection systems
- Assistance in developing emergency preparedness and business recovery plans for business operations and collections
- Appraisal of historic buildings that includes replacement cost with like material and quality of workmanship
- Assessment of slip/fall and life safety exposures in the constantly changing environment of galleries
- Infrared thermography analysis of electrical distribution systems in historical structures
- Evaluation of preventative maintenance programs on critical equipment for maintaining temperature control and dehumidification
Let our years of experience with cultural institutions work for you. We maintain a leadership position on the NFPA Technical Committee on Cultural Resources, which is responsible for NFPA codes used by cultural properties around the world. Talk to your agent or broker to learn more about the Chubb difference.