Led by our team of Certified Industrial Hygienists (CIHs) averaging more than 20 years of experience, our highly credentialed and experienced teams help protect your employees’ health and helps your organization meet applicable government regulations and industry standards.
Our IH services include, but are not limited to:
- IH assessments - Chemicals, noise and other physical agents (radiations, heat, cold, etc.) and biological contaminants (mold, Legionella, etc.)
- IH program audit or review - Full IH Programs or single topic programs (respiratory protection, hearing conservation, etc.
- Indoor air quality assessments - Ventilation, mold, odors and other complaints
- Occupational disease investigations - Under workers compensation and as toxic torts
Key IH Services for Construction:
Indoor Air Quality
ESIS can provide indoor air investigations of construction projects to respond to and minimize indoor air or “sick building syndrome” complaints or problems that might arise during renovation projects. Prior to the start of the construction project, ESIS can provide proactive health and safety services and develop dust and solvent control plans to minimize costly issues like building evacuations due to concerns with dust levels or solvent vapors/odors. ESIS also can audit staff or subcontractors to ensure that health and safety, and dust/solvent control programs are being followed.
Air sampling can be used to document air concentrations and collect wipe samples prior to and after renovations. Effective air sampling combined with proper isolation and creation of a negative atmosphere can help verify that the ventilation system is not spreading construction dust, paint solvents, and fungi to other areas of the facility. These precautions can reduce complaints and document the extent of exposures, which may assist in the event of contract and tenant disputes.
Water Damage and Mold
If there is water damage to building materials, ESIS can assist in identification and quantitation of mold through collection of tape, bulk or air samples. ESIS provides sampling to assess the effectiveness of contractors responsible for mold remediation. This helps to validate that the contractor performed the proper removal services and the replaced materials are not causing other health-related problems. Finally, fungal spore clearance levels can be determined prior to removing isolation barriers.
Silica and Lead
ESIS can help establish and document silica and/or lead air concentrations during demolition or renovations. Bulk materials and paints can also be evaluated by EHL for the presence of silica and/or lead prior to renovations.
EHL can provide guidance on the appropriate media to use to collect and evaluate potential exposures during construction including welding fumes, soldering exposures, dust levels from cutting or grinding, and/or solvents from evaporation or paint spray operations.
EHL can identify the presence or absence of asbestos in bulk samples you collect.
ESIS’ owned and operated American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) accredited Environmental Health Laboratory (EHL) provides sampling media and analyzes samples taken to evaluate employee exposures to dust and chemicals used in the workplace using Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and in-house methods.
- Organic solvent analyses by gas chromatography with flame ionization, nitrogen/phosphorus and electron capture detectors • Total, respirable and inhalable dust analyses using micro balances in our environmentally controlled room
- Welding fume and metals analyses using Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS)
- Organics analyses of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs), aldehydes and pesticides using liquid chromatography with an Ultra Violet (UV) diode array detector
- Analyses of anions and cations by ion chromatography with conductivity detection
- Asbestos bulk identification and quantitation of air fiber concentrations by polarized light and phase contrast microscopy
- Thermal desorption collection of samples and subsequent sub part per billion (ppb) analysis using gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy analyses (EPA TO1/TO2)
- Minican/whole air canister collection of samples and subsequent sub part per billion (ppb) analysis using gas chromatography/mass spectroscopy analyses (EPA TO14/TO15)
- Oil quantitation using either Infrared spectrophotornetry or liquid extraction using the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) protocol
- Spore trap and fungal tape analysis to determine airborne and surface contamination of fungi/mold
- Many other analysis through our affiliated network of AIHA accredited labs – so we can be your one stop shop for all IH sample analysis.
Organized in 1953, ESIS, Inc. (ESIS) provides customized risk management services. ESIS is a Chubb company. Chubb is the marketing name used to refer to subsidiaries of Chubb Limited providing insurance and related services. For a list of these subsidiaries, please visit our website at www.chubb.com. Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurance group. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance, life insurance and related services to a diverse group of clients. Chubb Limited, the parent company of Chubb, is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: CB) and is a component of the S&P 500 index. Additional information about Chubb can be found at www.chubb.com. Additional information about ESIS, Inc. and its products and services can be found at www.esis.com.