Industries and employees that can be subject to the Defense Base Act include U.S.-based businesses with federal government contracts for projects overseas:
- Project Managers
- Facilities Support Management Services
- Logistical Support Services
- Information Technology Providers
- Educational Institutions
The Defense Base Act applies to contracts awarded for work in these employment related categories:
- At any military, air or naval base.
- Upon any lands occupied or used by U.S. government for military purposes or in any territory or possession outside continental U.S.
- Upon any public works project in any territory or possession outside continental U.S. if under contract with U.S. government.
- With the U.S. (or representative agency), if contract is to be performed outside U.S. and not within area described above in the three bullets, for purpose of performing public work. DBA insurance must be secured prior to and be maintained during the life of the contract.
- Under contract approved and financed by U.S. or any executive department or agency, if contract is to be performed outside U.S. under Mutual Security Act of 1954.
- Outside continental U.S. by American employer providing welfare or similar services for benefit of Armed Forces pursuant to appropriate authorization by Secretary of Defense.
Insurance provided by ACE American Insurance Company and its U.S. based Chubb underwriting company affiliates. All products may not be available in all states. This communication contains product summaries only. Coverage is subject to the language of the policies as actually issued. Surplus lines insurance sold only through licensed surplus lines producers. Chubb is the world's largest publicly traded property and casualty insurance group. With operations in 54 countries and territories, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. Chubb Limited, the parent company of Chubb, is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: CB) and is a component of the S&P 500 index.