Chubb conducted research on the travel market in Malaysia to find out the travel behaviour and insurance purchase habits of Malaysian travellers in 2016. Seven hundred and fifty-eight Malaysian travellers responded to the online survey.
Eighty-four percent of the respondents claimed to go overseas at least once a year with 38% travelling outside the Asia Pacific region. As most holidays were with their families, it was not surprising that June, November and December were the peak travel periods coinciding with the national school holidays.
From the survey, six interesting facts were uncovered with regard to Malaysian travellers:
- In terms of travel destinations, 78.3% of them preferred short-haul flights to nearby Asia Pacific countries. The top three destinations were Singapore, Korea and Hong Kong. Eighty percent of travellers will travel for not more than 10 days in terms of duration of trips.
- With regard to purchase of travel insurance, 81% of Malaysian travellers will buy it for their trips, with 43% buying for all their trips. For the 19% who didn’t buy it, the reasons cited were “there’s no need for it” or “we are covered in some other way such as by our credit cards”.
- The factors influencing the purchase of travel insurance were largely due to the destinations the travellers were going to. Safety topped the list of factors, followed by the distance travelled and then the cost of insurance.
- On researching for travel insurance to protect their holiday plans, travellers in Malaysia were reliant on the World Wide Web. Forty-six percent would research the insurance provider websites prior to purchase.
- When it came to purchase of travel insurance, only 17% would purchase it online. A significant proportion of 49% still relied on their travel agents for purchase as travel insurance was bought with their travel bookings.
- Malaysian travellers would buy travel insurance from a trustworthy brand, from an insurer who makes claims easy and who provides good customer service.
Download the full infographic here.
Please note that we make no guarantees about the accuracy of the survey results (“Result”) and you should not rely on the Results in making any decision because the Results merely reflect the choices of the participants. Chubb shall not be liable for any inaccuracies or errors found in the Results and in this page as well as any loss, damage, or other problem, including but not limited to, indirect or consequential loss or damage arising from or in connection with use of the Results.