Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd ("Chubb Insurance"), in the course of providing insurance services to its insureds,
may collect personal information in relation to its insureds or third parties. Any such information collected by Chubb Insurance
is treated with the strictest confidence and used solely for the purpose it was collected or as authorised by law.
If you wish to find out whether Chubb Insurance holds any personal information about you, you can write to us at:
The Privacy Officer - Company Secretary
Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd
Level 29, 2 Park Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd
Personal Information Collection Statement
In the course of providing insurance and processing insurance claims, we need to collect personal information about persons
we insure and persons associated with persons we insure. In accordance with the Privacy Act 1988, this statement contains
the information required to be given to persons about whom we collect personal information.
Your access to your personal information
You can request access to personal information which we hold about you. Your rights to access and our rights to refuse access
are set out in the Privacy Act 1988.
Our use of personal information
We may at any time use personal information we collect about you for any of the following purposes:
- to provide a quotation or assess a proposal for insurance
- to provide, amend or renew an insurance policy
- to respond to a claim.
Our disclosure of personal information
We may at any time disclose personal information we collect about you to the following types of organisations (some of which
may be outside Australia):
- external valuers and appraisers
- loss adjusters and other investigators
- professional advisors, such as accountants and lawyers
- other organisations that provide services to us in relation to the provision of insurance.
If you do not provide us with the personal information we need
We only collect personal information that we need to provide insurance to you or to a person with whom you are associated,
and to respond to any claims that you or that other person makes under an insurance policy with us. If you do not give us
this information we may not be able to provide insurance or process a claim.
We are the Chubb Insurance Company of Australia Ltd (ABN 69 003 710 647). You can contact us at the following addresses:
Citigroup Centre, Level 29, 2 Park Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: 02 9273 0100
Fax: 02 9273 0101
Level 14, 330 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Tel: 03 9242 5111
Fax: 03 9629 7417
Level 21, 225 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6831
Tel: 08 9325 7788
Fax: 08 9325 7730
Level 13, 40 Creek Steet, Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Tel: 07 3227 5777
Fax: 07 3221 1677
Chubb Insurance and your privacy
Chubb Insurance is committed to the protection of privacy. When we collect, handle, store, use or disclose personal information,
we try at all times to comply with the National Privacy Principles and the Privacy Act 1988.
This privacy statements sets out:
- our policies on the management of personal information; and
- the types of personal information we hold, the purposes for which we hold it and how we collect, store and handle that information.
In this statement, "personal information" means information or an opinion (including information in a database) about an individual
whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
In addition to the information in this privacy statement, there may also be specific additional information relating to privacy
in the documents we use in dealing with you.
If you require more information about the sort of personal information we hold, or the purposes for which and manner in which
we collect, hold and use and disclose it, you should contact Chubb Insurance's Privacy Officer on (02) 9273 0100.
When, why and how we collect personal information
We may collect personal information in a number of circumstances. The main ones are:
- when a person or their broker asks us or for an insurance quote
- when a person arranges insurance through us
- when we appraise a person's property
- when a person alters the terms of their insurance policy
- when a person makes a claim
- when we investigate a claim
- when a person requests information from us
- when a person applies for a job with us.
Generally, we will only collect the personal information that we need to:
- quote on or assess an insurance proposal
- provide and maintain an insurance policy
- process a claim
- process a job application.
Whenever we collect personal information, we do everything we can to let the person know:
- how to contact us
- why we collect the information
- the organisation or types of organisations to which we usually disclose that kind of information
- the consequences if the information is not provided.
We generally provide this information in the form of a collection statement which we give the first time we collect information
from an individual.
From time to time we may need to collect sensitive information or health information about a person. 'Sensitive information'
is information about a person's racial or ethnic origin, political or religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs,
membership of a professional or trade association or trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record or health.
Health information is a type of sensitive information to which special rules apply.
We may need to collect sensitive information or health information when assessing an insurance proposal or a claim. We will
only collect that information with the consent of the individual or where we are required by law to collect that information.
We generally try to collect personal information directly from the individual and not from the third parties. However, there
are situations where it is not reasonable and practicable to collect information directly. They include:
- when a person contacts us through a broker
- when we are seeking independent verification or appraisal of information provided
- when we are considering or investigating a claim.
If we collect personal information from a third person, such as a company for whom the individual works, or a broker or assessor,
we may rely on that third person to provide the collection statement to the individual.
The purposes for which we use or disclose personal information
We collect personal information because we need it to:
- provide a quotation
- determine whether to provide insurance and on what terms
- process a claim
- consider a job application.
Generally, we will not use or disclose personal information for any other purpose unless we have received the consent of the
individual. We will not give personal information to any other organisation for marketing purposes.
From time to time, we may use personal information to provide individuals with news or offers about products and services
that we provide. However, we will only do that with the consent of the individual. If a person consents to us using personal
information for that purpose, and subsequently changes their mind, they can request us not to use the information for those
The Privacy Act also allows us to disclose personal information for purposes relating to public safety and law enforcement.
How we maintain the integrity of personal information
We do everything we can to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To do this
- periodically review our database and remove personal information that is no longer required; and
- promise to correct any error that is brought to our attention.
We will provide access to personal information we hold about a person on request. However, the Privacy Act allows us to refuse
access in some circumstances, including where:
- the information relates to a legal dispute, and the information would not be accessible by process of discovery in legal proceedings;
- providing access would reveal our strategy in relation to negotiations in a way that prejudice the negotiations; and
- providing access would be likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity
We may be entitled to charge you for providing access to personal information.
How we keep personal information secure
We recognise that you are concerned about the security and confidentiality of the personal information provided to us. We
recognise the value of that information and will do everything we reasonably can to prevent unauthorised access to, or disclosure,
misuse or loss of that information.
We try to do that by:
- ensuring all staff who have access to your information understand the requirements of the Privacy Act;
- requiring persons to whom we supply information or who process that information on our behalf to comply with the requirements
of the Privacy Act;
- using encryption and other data protection techniques whenever we store or transmit information electronically; and
- storing personal information in hard copy form in secure facilities.
We may send your personal information outside Australia
It may be necessary for us to transfer personal information held about you to an organisation outside Australia.
We may need to do this where information is stored in or processed in a database that is located outside Australia.
We will not transfer information outside Australia without your consent unless we are satisfied, or have put arrangements
in place to ensure, that the information will be handled in a manner that is consistent with the requirements of the Privacy
If you have a complaint
We take very seriously any complaints we receive about the way we treat personal information. If you have a complaint about
the way we use or handle your personal information, you should contact our Complaints Chairman on (02) 9273 0100.