Related Links

Licensing & Appointments




Licensing and Appointment Requirements



State:  Insurance licenses are issued by all states. Each insurance department establishes the required qualifications for this license. The states issue licenses for both residents and nonresidents. The state regulations will dictate whether licenses are issued for business entities and/or individuals.

Agent or Broker:  It is the insurance agent or broker’s responsibility to obtain insurance licenses and meet the licensing qualifications required by each state insurance department to which they apply. It is also the agent or broker’s responsibility to pay all initial and renewal licensing fees as required by each state. Furthermore, it is incumbent upon all agents and brokers to abide by all applicable insurance laws and regulations.

Chubb:  Agency Services submits all required paperwork to the state insurance departments in order to appoint the agency and/or agents with the Chubb insurance companies named in their agency contract. All fees associated with company appointments are paid by Agency Services.


Chubb Workflow for Accepting Business:

1.  Prior to quoting or accepting business, Chubb verifies the existence of a valid insurance license for the agency and the individual transacting the insurance business. An insurance license must be held in each state where the risk is located. This may include a resident license as well as several nonresident licenses.

2.  It must be confirmed that a license, and a Chubb appointment, is reflected in the Agency Services Licensing System for each state in question. It is not valid to issue policies for producers not appointed in the proper writing company. Commission cannot be paid to unlicensed, unappointed producers.


Required Appointments:

Agents and Brokers must hold corporate and/or individual licenses depending on the state of risk and be able to provide them to Chubb for company appointments. Many states only require individual agents or brokers (I) be appointed, others only require the corporation (C) to have an appointment, and some require both types of appointments be held by our agents and brokers.
The below chart lists which type of company appointments are required on a resident and nonresident basis by state and therefore which licenses must be forwarded to Agency Services regarding risks in each state.

Licensing requirements chart  (.pdf, 9k)




Agency Services Licensing/Appointment Department:



Additional Information:

NAIC State Insurance Department Web Sites

State-by-state Department of Insurance Licensing Department Telephone Numbers (.pdf, 10k)


PDFs require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader. Get it here.